Spring provides the ideal excuse to round up friends and neighbors for a celebration. Join us this week and become inspired with these eight creative suggestions for your next party.
1. A color motif makes decorating a snap. If you would like to make a large visual impact, consider choosing a colour scheme early on and stick to it. Having everything coordinated creates a rich, cohesive appearance, even if you’re using simple paper plates and cups. Paper lanterns, streamers and old-fashioned straws are cheap and cheerful.
2. Use what you have. No fitting seats? No opportunity to buy flowers? Look around your home and get creative. Grab a few potted flowers or herbs from the porch to use as a centerpiece, and telephone every mismatched seat and stool into support. Drape a vibrant cloth on the desk (hey, even a bed coverlet can work) and string up bunting, and you are good to go.
3. Host a audience. Don’t let cost prevent you from hosting a larger gathering if that is what you really want. Affordable “filler” blossoms like angel’s breath can make a dramatic statement when used in great large bunches, a roster of burlap from the hardware shop produces a charming runner, and mason jars are ideal rustic-chic eyeglasses. Want to save? Make it a potluck!
4. Begin a breakfast club. Having friends over for weekend breakfast or brunch is an excellent way to entertain — it’s easy to throw together a meal, and everyone is pleased to initiate the day on such a cheerful note. Really like this idea? Make it a weekend convention. Collect a bunch of friends and take turns.
5. Craft your own canopy. Canopies add an exotic note to some outside area, plus they’re best for blocking unsavory viewpoints. Have a cue from the page in the publication Decorate and produce your own canopy from a span of pretty cloth and a few bamboo sticks.
Donna DuFresne Interior Design
6. Provide heat. Like autumn, spring weather can be fickle. Be ready by draping a few fluffy blankets round your outside seating areas. Your guests will love your thoughtfulness.
7. Try a DIY project. Trying to find an enjoyable handmade addition to your celebration? Paper pom-poms are all of the rage, and they’re simple enough to create. Check out this tutorial to craft your own.
8. Create a favor. If you would like to make a lasting impression, give your guests a goodie to go home with. Crafty blogger Rubyellen Bratcher came up with those beauties: minipies wrapped in fabric bits and finished with a kraft paper label. Sweet!
Entertaining at Home: A listing of Party-Prep Ideas
How to Arrange Your Room for Entertaining